Have you made your home frightening and spooktastic this Halloween? It’s not too late. You can still dress up your yard with oogy-boogy orange, ghoulish green, or putrid purple lighting. And when it comes to colorful lighting, LEDs are a particularly popular new technology. Here are a few reasons you should consider using LEDs for your festive Halloween lighting this year.
About LED Lights
LED means “light emitting diode” and they work by moving electrons across a semiconductor material instead of heating up a filament. Unlike typical bulbs, LED’s don’t get very hot and they don’t have a filament that will burn out. Although the cost of semiconductor material sometimes makes LEDs more expensive than regular incandescent bulbs, they come with a large list of other advantages that more than make up for their initial cost.
- LEDs produce more light per watt than incandescent bulbs, which is particularly useful in battery powered applications where energy savings are important.
- Unlike incandescent bulbs that turn yellow when dimmed, LED’s do not change their color as the current passing through them is lowered.
- LEDs do not require color filters to create colored light, making them more efficient and able to produce a broader spectrum of colors.
- LEDs are dramatically more energy efficient than incandescent bulbs, and can save significantly on costs when a lot of lighting is used, such as outdoor holiday lighting.
- LEDs have a much longer lifespan (60,000 hours compared to 1,500 hours), so they will not need to be replaced as frequently as traditional bulbs.
- The solid state lighting structure of LEDs makes them more durable as well, and are better able to withstand shock, vibration and extreme temperature–perfect for outdoor applications.
- Because LED lights generate virtually no heat, they can be left on for hours without worrying about potential fire and safety risks.
- Unlike fluorescent lights that use mercury, LEDs are made completely from non toxic materials. They are also recyclable and considered earth friendly.
Irrigation, Outdoor Lighting, and Drainage from Aqua-Bright
For more information about outdoor lighting, irrigation, and drainage for your Maryland home, call Aqua-Bright today at 410-489-9009 or take a tour of our website. We offer top notch irrigation services from seasoned professionals. You can follow Aqua-Bright Irrigation & Illumination on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and LinkedIn for more updates and information about our illumination and irrigation services! For examples of our work, check us out on Pinterest, too.