With the holiday season coming to a close, many people are beginning to make preparations to dismantle their holiday light displays. If taking down the holiday lights is on your agenda this weekend, you’ll want to make sure you get the job done safely. Here are a few tips that can help make the process a little more headache free.
- Make sure weather conditions are favorable. Keep an eye on the forecast. If there’s a lot of wind, rain, or snow then you’re better off just waiting for another day. This is a particularly injury-prone time of year, as many people fall or trip while taking down lights due to bad weather. Don’t let it happen to you!
- Do it during the day. While you might want to see the lights shine one more time at night, it’s better to accomplish this task during daylight hours. Furthermore, make sure all your lights are unplugged before you start taking them down!
- Gear up. If you’re going to be removing lights from your roof, you’ll need some protective gear. The materials along your roof lines are harsh and often have jagged edges with rough textures. You can avoid cuts and scrapes by wearing some protective gear like gloves and boosts.
- Make it a two-person job. Having some help will make the job of taking down lights three times simpler and safer. It’s always beneficial to have someone who can help spot a ladder and catch things if they happen to fall, as well as a second pair of eyes to catch any potential dangers.
- Store them away properly. Once you’ve taken down your lights, make sure that they are in working condition and place lights safely in a container for storage. Keep them somewhere that children and pets won’t be able to get into.
- Bring in the professionals. If you don’t have the available time or the personal equipment to take down holiday lights yourself, hiring a professional will help get the job done quickly while alleviating a ton of stress.
Outdoor Lighting, Irrigation, and Drainage from Aqua-Bright
For more information about outdoor lighting, irrigation, and drainage for your Maryland home, call Aqua-Bright today at 410-489-9009 or take a tour of our website. We offer top notch irrigation services from seasoned professionals. You can follow Aqua-Bright Irrigation & Illumination on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and LinkedIn for more updates and information about our illumination and irrigation services! For examples of our work, check us out on Pinterest, too.