Fall means fallings leaves, and falling leaves means gutter blockages. Leaves and moss are the number one cause of gutter blockages. A blocked up gutter can cause drainage problems, and in some extreme cases severe property damage from leaking water. You don’t have to invest in expensive solutions to cure your gutters of leaf blockage. Here’s a few things you can do to keep your gutters free of leaves and other debris this fall.
- Cut back trees and weak overhanging limbs – Branches overhanging your gutters can not only cause gutter blockages, but are a potential hazard in case of a storm. Clear away overhanging branches and weak trees. Have roof moss removed with a moss inhibiting fungicide.
- Gutter maintenance – Having your gutters cleaned manually by a professional once or twice a year may not be the most appealing option, but it may turn out to be cheaper than installing an expensive gutter filter or having moss removed.
- Pipe filters – A pipe filter won’t prevent leaves/debris from catching into your gutters, but they will help keep the water flowing regardless. They can also reduce the chances of costly pipe jetting/flushing. Pipe filters are a very affordable option.
- Install a gutter guard – Gutter guards are designed to let water into the gutter while keeping leaves, twigs, moss, and other debris out. It’s important to keep in mind that not all guards work the same or work as effectively, and some can clog quite easily with finer debris like pine needles. Do your research thoroughly before you install a guard and make sure it will work for your property.
- High capacity gutters – Traditional gutters can be replaced with a system that holds more water and will be less likely to overflow. High capacity gutters have a much deeper profile and are less likely to get blocked up.
Irrigation, Outdoor Lighting, and Drainage from Aqua Bright
For more information about outdoor lighting, irrigation, and drainage for your Maryland home, call Aqua-Bright today at 410-489-9009 or take a tour of our website. We offer top notch irrigation services from seasoned professionals. You can follow Aqua-Bright Irrigation & Illumination on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and LinkedIn for more updates and information about our illumination and irrigation services! For examples of our work, check us out on Pinterest, too. 1